Whereas SKYWARN is the National Weather Service (NWS) program of trained volunteer severe weather spotters. SKYWARN Spotters support their local community and government by providing the NWS and their local emergency managers with timely and accurate severe weather reports. These reports, when integrated with modern NWS technology, are used to inform communities of the proper actions to take as severe weather threatens.
We, the undersigned, wishing to secure for ourselves the pleasures and benefits of an association of persons commonly interested in Amateur Radio and Skywarn weather spotting, constitute ourselves the Mid-Iowa Skywarn Association and enact this constitution as our governing law. It shall be our purpose to further the exchange of information and cooperation between members, to promote amateur radio and hazardous weather spotting knowledge, fraternalism and individual operating efficiency, and to so conduct Association programs and activities as to advance the general interest and welfare of Amateur Radio and Skywarn activities in the community.
Membership: Article I
All persons interested in Amateur Radio communications and hazardous weather observation and reporting shall be eligible for membership. Membership shall be by application and election upon such terms as the Association shall provide in its By-Laws.
Officers: Article II
Sec. 1. The officers of this Association shall be President, Vice-President, and Secretary – Treasurer.
Sec. 2. The officers of this Association shall be elected for a term of one year by ballot of the members present, provided there be a quorum, at the annual business meeting.
Sec. 3. Vacancies occurring between elections shall be filled by appointment of the remaining officers.
Sec. 4. Officers may be removed by a three-fourths vote of the membership.
Sec. 5. The majority of the Association officers shall maintain a valid amateur radio license.
Duties of Officers: Article III
Sec. 1. The President shall preside at all meetings, and conduct them according to the rules adopted. He/she shall enforce due observance of this Constitution and By-Laws; decide all questions of order; sign all official documents adopted by the Association, and perform all other duties pertaining to the office of President.
Sec. 2. The Vice-President shall assume all the duties of the President in his/her absence.
Sec. 3. In addition, the President and the Vice-President shall organize Association activities, plan and recommend contests for operating benefits, and advance Association interest and activity as approved by the Association. They shall maintain close liaison with the ARRL Section Emergency Coordinator to further Association participation in the Amateur Radio Emergency Service. They will also maintain a liaison with Johnston, IA NWS Office.
Sec. 4. The Secretary shall keep a record of the proceedings of all meetings, keep a roll of members, submit membership applications, carry on all correspondence, read communications at each meeting, and mail or e-mail written meeting notices to each member. At the expiration of his/her term he/she shall turn over all items belonging to the Association to his/her successor.
Sec. 5. The Secretary-Treasurer shall receive and receipt for all monies paid to the Association; keep an accurate account of all monies received and expended; pay no bills without proper authorization (by the Association or its officers constituting a business committee). At the end of each year during the annual business meeting he/she shall submit an itemized statement of disbursements and receipts. At the end of his/her term he/she shall turn over everything in his/her possession belonging to the Association to his/her successor.
Meetings: Article IV
The By-Laws shall provide for regular and special meetings. At meetings, a minimum of one-fourth of the membership shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
Dues: Article V
The Association, by majority vote of those present at any regular meeting, may levy upon the general membership such dues as shall be deemed necessary for the business of the organization. Non-payment of such dues shall be cause for expulsion from the Association within the discretion of the membership.
Membership Assistance: Article VI
The Association, through designated committees will strive to: promote Amateur Radio, promote hazardous weather observation and reporting, and support weather training. The Association shall also maintain a program to foster and guide public relations.
Amendments: Article VII
This constitution or By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the total membership. Proposals for amendments shall be submitted in writing at a regular meeting and shall be voted on at the next following annual business meeting, provided all members have been notified by mail or e-mail of the intent to amend the constitution and/or By-Laws at said meeting. Voting by attendance and or proxy shall be acceptable. Robert’s Rules shall govern proceedings.
Mid-Iowa SKYWARN Association Bylaws
1. Secretary. It shall be the duty of the Secretary to keep the constitution and By-Laws of the Association and have the same with him/her at every meeting. He/she shall note all amendments, changes and additions on the constitution and shall permit it to be consulted by members upon request.
2. Membership. Full membership is open to licensed amateurs and those persons interested in hazardous weather observation and reporting. Membership includes all Association privileges as well as rights to hold an Association office and to vote for Association officers. Applications for membership shall be submitted at regular meetings.
3. Meetings. Regular meetings shall be held a minimum of four times a year. Special meetings may be called by the President upon the written request of any five Association members. Notices shall be sent to members concerning special meetings and the business to be transacted. Only such business as designated shall be transacted. Such notices shall be sent so that they arrive not less than 7 days before the meeting.
4. Dues. A regular yearly dues of $ 5.00 per member is hereby assessed in accordance with the provisions of Article V of the constitution for the purpose of providing funds for expenses.
5. Committees. Committees may be formed within the scope of the Association to promote the interests of the Association. These may include but are not limited to an Education Committee, Fund Raising and Public Relation.
6. The President at his discretion shall appoint all committee chairpersons and the Station Trustee.
7. Station Trustee shall be a licensed amateur radio operator in good standing with the FCC.
8. The Association shall apply for and maintain a station call sign.
9. The President with the approval of the NWS Johnston shall appoint net control operators.
10. Control operators will comply with the NWS Standard Operations Plan and will abide by any other NWS directive either written or verbal.
11. You do not need to be a member to take part in Skywarn weather spotting.